As a country, we love fireworks, using them to celebrate holidays like the 4th of July or at ballparks and other venues. However, fireworks, also known as pyrotechnics, can be dangerous. If you manufacture, sell, display or otherwise work around pyrotechnics then you need to know how to recognize and prevent hazards as well as how to ensure your safety and the safety of those you work with.
You can find more detailed information and resources about the Pyrotechnics industry on OSHA’s site; however, we will tap into the Fireworks Safety tips they provide.
Fireworks Safety: Retail Fireworks Sales
- Keep exits clear and accessible.
- Know all exit routes.
- Maintain a view of fireworks.
- Know alarm procedures.
- Know fire extinguisher location and operation.
- Remove and dispose of damaged fireworks.
- Remove loose pyrotechnic powder promptly.
- Use only non-sparking tools; no vacuum cleaners.
- Do not allow smoking within 50 feet.
- Keep facilities secure.
Download a card with these safety tips.
Fireworks Safety: Display Operators
- Make sure personnel are trained and competent.
- Obtain required licenses, permits and inspections.
- Maintain display site security and communications.
- Wear protective gear and proper clothing.
- Prohibit accidental ignition sources.
- Properly install mortar boxes, racks and drums.
- Keep fireworks cartons closed.
- Keep fireworks dry and in good conditions.
- Always handle fireworks carefully.
- Stay away from loaded mortars.
OSHA Fireworks Safety Video
OSHA has also put together a video on Fireworks Safety in Manufacturing and Retail Sales that you may find helpful as well.