Every 12 minutes someone dies in a motor vehicle crash, every 10 seconds an injury occurs and every 5 seconds a crash occurs. These incidents aren’t just ones that occur after the workday is finished; many happen during the workday or during the commute to and from work.
It’s time to shine a light on the risks of impaired driving – operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol, illegal, over-the-counter and prescription drugs.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), every day, 28 people die in an alcohol-related crash in the US – one person every 51 minutes.
One way your company can help reduce the risks is to implement a “no drinking & driving” policy.
Safe Driving Policy: No Drinking & Driving
A Sober Driving policy can be a challenging thing to introduce so here are some ideas to help.
- When telling employees about a Sober Driving Policy on and off the job, remind them that it’s against the law to drive under the influence. This company policy is to help ensure you have the safest workplace possible.
- Create a 12-month safety calendar that will help you promote sober driving anytime of the year.
- Offer Employee Assistance Programs encouraging those who may have a problem with alcohol or drugs to seek help.
- Continuously hang and use posters, fact sheets, safety tip sheets, and more to promote Sober Driving practices.
- Reward employees for their safe driving efforts – include those who have helped organize events and lead the Sober Driving program.